Monday, July 18, 2005

Fantasia: Kamikaze Girls

OK, how can I start this review. This is one heck of a weird movie, but it’s also one of the best I’ve seen at this point. Japanese pop culture has really bad taste to us westerners, but after watching this movie, I couldn’t stop smiling. It’s a really beautiful movie.

Story:
I’m not going to go into the details, as I feel it’s better to see it without knowing too much about the movie. It’s the story of Momoko, a girl who is obsessed with frilly dresses from the Rococo period meeting up with Ichiko, a bad ass biker chick (she rides a scooter) who spits every minute. As you could guess, Momoko does not really get along with her, actually, she rather go through life alone, buying frilly dresses. They end up in a couple adventures together and end up being friends. If you want a better description, go to the Fantasia website.

Actors:
What can I say, I just loved the two main actors. Momoko ( Kyoko FUKADA ) was just too beautiful in her frilly dresses. She truly portrait the perfect little girl. She has a warp idea of what life should be, and discovers from Ichiko, that you should not go through life alone.

Ichiko ( Anna TSUCHIYA ) on the other hand really portrait the bad girl. From the moment you see her on the screen, you know that she will be a blast!

[-/+]Spoiler

 

Music:
I have to mention the music because I just loved it in this movie. A lot of it is because I listen to some of the groups that sang on this sound track, like: Tommy heavenly6, Yoko Kano and others who are eluding me at this moment.

Type of movie:
This one is hard to pinpoint, I would have to say comedy with a little drama.

Conclusion:
One of the best 100 and some minutes. It’s such an amazing movie, the pictures are wonderful and the characters are full of life.

Verdict:
 I give this movie and easy A+.

Links:
Official website (Check out the intro)
More on the story
Fantasia